Over the last couple of days, I’ve been tinkering with my wife’s iPhone 3G. I will give you a list of steps I used to get her iPhone 3G to work on GCI in Alaska almost as well as an AT&T iPhone!
- Jailbreak and unlock the phone using blackra1n. (3.1.2 firmware and 5.11 baseband) This was the simplest way I could find to do these things. There are many prerequisites that you will need to meet for this step to be successful and therefore is probably the most difficult step in the process. If you’re successful, your GCI sim card should be registering in the phone (Bars in the upper left corner of the screen followed by “GCI” and “E”)
- Contact GCI and tell them you want the $15/month data and unlimited texting plan.
- On the iPhone, go to Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network… Then enter the following into the appropriate boxes:
- Under Cellular Data, enter:
- APN: web.gci
- Leave the rest of the Cellular Data boxes blank.
- Under MMS, enter:
- APN: mms.gci
- MMSC: http://mmsc.gci.csky.us:6672/
- MMS Proxy: 22.214.171.124:9201
- Leave the rest of the MMS boxes blank.
- Reboot the phone! That should be it!
- One thing to remember is this: Receiving MMS is pretty timely and quick, but sending an MMS from a GCI phone could take up to a couple of hours if you’re sending it to someone on a different cellular carrier. I’m not sure why this is, but that’s just how GCI rolls.
If you have any questions about this, please feel free to comment with questions or answers and you’ll get hooked up. Good luck!